AIDS Vancouver is accountable for the personal information under its control. AIDS Vancouver has appointed a Privacy Officer who is responsible for the agency's compliance with this Policy.
PURPOSES FOR COLLECTION, USE, AND DISCLOSURE FOR:
Donors and Members
AIDS Vancouver collects and uses personal information about donors and members for the following purposes:
- Issuance of tax receipts for donations as required by CCRA regulations
- In order to issue thank-you cards and recognize individuals for donations
- Periodic mailings regarding AIDS Vancouver, its programs and services, inclusive of mailings for the purposes of fund raising or membership renewal
- To contact individual donors or members who may have questions or concerns
- Maintenance of a registry of members as required by the Society Act of British Columbia
Clients and Service Consumers
AIDS Vancouver collects and uses personal information about clients for the following purposes:
- Determination of eligibility for client services
- In order to assist clients with health-related personal planning
- In some instances in order to document services provided by AIDS Vancouver staff and/or volunteers to clients
- To contact individual clients or service consumers in order to address questions or concerns, or to complete a service transaction
- Reporting required by levels of government or bodies funding services provided by AIDS Vancouver - this information will be represented quantitatively, and will not include names or other identifiers
- Reporting required for an annual financial audit as required by the Society Act of British Columbia and government funding bodies
- Records related to the loan of materials or resources owned by AIDS Vancouver
Staff and Volunteers
AIDS Vancouver collects and uses personal information about staff and volunteers for the following purposes:
- Payroll and required deductions
- Determination of eligibility for benefits and entitlements and in some instances the use of such benefits thereafter
- Assessment of appropriate qualifications
- Emergency contact information
- Assessment of training and development needs
- Documentation of performance assessments
- Periodic mailings regarding AIDS Vancouver, its programs and services
- For recognition purposes and activities
- An individual may choose to withdraw his or her consent to have his/her personal information used for any or all of these purposes. He/she may contact the Privacy Officer to make this request. Implications and ramifications regarding withdrawal of consent will be clearly outlined by the Privacy Officer.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
The only circumstances under which personal information may be disclosed to third parties is for the fulfillment of any purposes identified above, or as required by law. If personal information is disclosed to third parties for the purposes of fulfillment of any purposes identified above, AIDS Vancouver will ensure that appropriate security undertakings, such as confidentiality clauses in contractual agreements, are employed to protect the transfer and use of personal information.
AIDS Vancouver does not sell, trade, or rent information to third parties.
AIDS Vancouver protects personal information with appropriate security safeguards. Safeguards include physical, administrative, and electronic security measures.
Any individual has the right to access his or her personal information under the control of AIDS Vancouver. The Privacy Officer will assist the individual with the access request. In certain exceptional situations, AIDS Vancouver may not be able to provide access to certain personal information it holds about an individual. If access cannot be provided, AIDS Vancouver will notify the individual making the request, in writing, of the reasons for the refusal.