Department: Health Promotion Case Management Program
Supervisor: Other men who have sex with men (OMSM) Health Promotion Case Manager
2 hours per week for a period of 6 month - additional hours can be negotiated. This position requires a volunteer as soon as possible with the tentative date scheduled of every Wednesday afternoon beginning March 2015.
The Volunteer QPOC Peer Group Co-facilitator provides support to the group facilitator on planning, collecting data, developing weekly group discussion themes, facilitating activities and discussion.
- Maintaining accurate data on QMOC social support group interactions, services available and resources in the community;
- Actively co-facilitating an outreach social group that will be designed to foster a supportive environment for QMOC to make connections, build community and discuss issues specific to their sexuality.
- Supporting all participants’ thorough psychological and behavioural techniques to ensure they are being comfortable with their sexuality.
- Promoting participant’s well-being and personal development.
- Engaging the participants in discussions about social issues that are related to everyday interactions.
- Monitoring and mediating group dynamics while creating a safe and inclusive space for participants to share their experiences
- Assist on the development of a community using group dynamic techniques aimed at improving the health and wellness within the QMOC community.
- Creating healthy boundaries while focusing on identity affirming care.
- Staying updated and informed on current issues, resources and referrals by doing research & a newspaper scanning service.
- Other duties as needed
- Social Services, humanities or psychology related field such as counselling; social work
- Students willing to apply their knowledge in the field of group facilitation
- Other related experience
Skills & Attributes
- Must identify as queer man of colour;
- Empathetic and non-judgmental attitude;
- Strong active listening skills;
- Outgoing and comfortable in conversation;
- Comfortable with explicit language and meeting people where they are at;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (including writing);
- Comfortable with group dynamics settings and ability to multitask;
- Ability to work within a team environment but also independently (& with initiative);
- Fluent in English and an additional language(s)
- Sensitive and responsive to HIV/AIDS and diverse sexual issues;
- Confidence and comfort with own identity
- To participate as a volunteers, a criminal record check is required.
Training & Support
- AIDS Vancouver Agency Orientation & Education;
- Specialized program/project training;
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training;
- Crisis intervention training
- Suicide intervention training
- HIV education training
- On-the-job orientation and support from seasoned volunteers;
- Ongoing support and supervision from assigned Supervisor;
- Evaluations, feedback, exit interviews and letters of reference are available upon a volunteer's request with a mandatory 8 month volunteer services;
- In service workshops and trainings as they occur within the agency;
- To be a part of a larger team that is working towards social change;
- To learn new and transferable skills, knowledge and experience;
- To engage in opportunities for leadership, community service and personal/professional development;
- Creating connections within the social-services community;
- Hours towards volunteer’s school programs.
Please Make sure you meet these minimum requirements before applying.
- Must be 19 years of age or older.
- Have legal immigration status in Canada; i.e. resident, citizen or student visa.
- Must be willing to make 1 year commitment, depending on which program requirements.
- Must be willing to complete a criminal record check.
- All volunteers must also attend our Core Training Program. Here you'll learn about AIDS Vancouver’s programs and services as well as participate in skill building topics including, HIV, cultural awareness, diverse community involvement diversity, confidentiality, and communication.