About AIDS Vancouver
The First AIDS Service Organization in Canada.
Well run and well managed, AIDS Vancouver opened its doors in 1983 as the first AIDS service organization in Canada and in response to the growing need for community health organizations to support individuals vulnerable to the epidemic.
Today, over 7,000 people from all over the world are annually accessing some form of service provided by AIDS Vancouver. AIDS Vancouver continues to respond to the ongoing changing and challenging health care environment of HIV/AIDS and is fully dedicated to grow and respond to meet the needs of the community we serve. AIDS Vancouver strives to keep our programming innovative and relevant.
AIDS Vancouver strives to create a community with no new HIV infections while ensuring support for those who are affected.
AIDS Vancouver exists to alleviate individual and collective vulnerability to HIV and AIDS through support, public education and community based research.
Our Strategic Intent: Prevent • Act • Support.
Our Core Values
- people should be treated with dignity and respect at every stage of their life.
- people living with HIV/AIDS have the right to determine the direction of their own lives.
- in the respect of diversity, privacy and confidentiality.
- in fostering the development of relationships that mutually benefit AIDS Vancouver and its partners.
- that the participation of individuals infected with HIV and individuals and communities affected by HIV and AIDS are critical to all aspects of a humane and ethical response to the epidemic.
A Comprehensive Approach
When people affected by HIV/AIDS experience difficulties in accessing services or have a financial, transportation, medical, food, housing or other problem or emergency, quality services are available from AIDS Vancouver including:
- Case Management Services
- Financial Assistance Fund
- Grocery and Nutrition Support
- Outreach Care Teams Support
- Confidential Helpline Support
AIDS Vancouver works in the community locally, regionally, nationally and internationally with our integrated approach to care and support, prevention and harm reduction. We also provide support and leadership to numerous other local AIDS Service Organizations (ASO's), through project management, administrative assistance and coalition partnerships.