AIDS Vancouver’s Grocery program, in operation for over 20 years, is set up like a small grocery store where we invite our clients in to have a food shopping experience, at no cost to them. This Volunteer position’s purpose is to pick up donations of organic produce in North Burnaby on the Monday mornings, of Grocery weeks, and drop them off at our office.
Time of Day: Morning
Shift Length: 1-2 hour(s) per week, 2-3 times per month, on Monday Mornings depending on the Grocery schedule
- A 1 year commitment is desired
- 1-2 hour(s) per week on 2-3 Monday mornings a month. For any stat holidays that fall on a Monday, Tuesday as an alternate would work best.
- No more than 4 hours per week
- Pick up donations of organic produce in North Burnaby @ 4535 Still Creek Avenue between 8:30-9:00am and drop them off at our 803 East Hastings office
- Record mileage monthly for accounting and reimbursement purposes
- Record volunteer hours and submit them monthly
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to lift and transfer goods (up to 50lbs)
- Must have own vehicle or access to a vehicle
- Current, valid BC Driver’s license
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Interested in HIV/AIDS and related issues
Training and Support
- AIDS Vancouver Agency Orientation & Education
- Specialized program/project training
- On-going support and supervision from Grocery Program Coordinator
- Evaluations, exit interviews and letters of reference are available upon a volunteer's request
- Reimbursement for Mileage ($0.50 per km)
- To be a part of a larger team or movement that is working towards social change.
- To learn new and transferable skills, knowledge and experience.
- To engage in opportunities for leadership, community service and personal/professional development.
- To be recognized and appreciated for valuable contributions.
- To meet new people and have fun!
1107 Seymour St
Vancouver, BC V6B 5S8
Google map and directions
Please Make sure you meet these minimum requirements before applying.
- Must be 19 years of age or older.
- Have legal immigration status in Canada; i.e. resident, citizen or student visa.
- Make a minimum commitment of volunteering once a week for six months. Should you not be able to commit to that length of time, you can commit to reaching 100 hours of service in a shorter period of time.
- Must be willing to complete a criminal record check (only for Board of Directors, Community Outreach, Fund Development and BoysRUs Positions).
- All volunteers must also attend our 12-hour Core Training Program. Here you'll learn about AIDS Vancouver’s programs and services as well as participate in skill building topics including, HIV, cultural awareness, diversity, confidentiality, and communication.
- After you graduate from Core Training, you'll be asked to complete position-specific training for the role you are assigned (usually 2-6 hours).