Educate to Empower
The “Educate to Empower Training Program” has been specifically designed for teachers and educators who are interested in providing their own students, staff or communities with HIV/AIDS and Sexual Health related information.
Our 2 day “Educate to Empower: Training of Trainers program equips you with the fundamentals needed to ensure you feel comfortable presenting difficult subject matter to a wide range of audiences. You will learn how to deliver difficult subject matter in an interesting and informative manner. You will also learn how to utilize a variety of educational techniques (multi-media, art and theatre, group work) in order to accommodate the various needs of a diverse range of learners. You will also learn how to give praise, as well as how to resolve classroom difficulties successfully. You will learn more how to motivate learners through clear direction and feedback, using active listening techniques, and enhancing participant self-esteem.
Learning objectives of the program include
- To provide basic knowledge about HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C.
- To create space where participants can bring together basic knowledge related to HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis with their own experiences and understandings of risk.
- To develop strategies for promoting sexual health, including the prevention of sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- To build an understanding of the connections between gender and sexuality privilege, inequalities and HIV.
- To showcase interesting local, national and international HIV/AIDS prevention and awareness campaigns and initiatives and demonstrate how they might be modified to suit the needs of our own communities and classrooms.
- To provide participants with a basic overview of stigma and discrimination, as well as an understanding of what can be done to combat it.
- To inspire participants to think creatively about how to promote HIV/AIDS awareness and reduce the harmful influence of HIV and Hepatitis C related stigma and discrimination.
- To learn how to partner with their local AIDS Service Organizations by creating a side-by-side relationship where both parties are mutually benefitted.
- To understand how effective facilitation and teaching can provide high levels of HIV/AIDS knowledge and awareness; reduce the risk of HIV and Hepatitis C transmission; and eradicate HIV/HCV related stigma and discrimination.
Practical Skills and Objectives
- Use the Educate to Empower facilitator guide, lesson plans, and other materials to create a memorable, fun, and relevant learning experience for your learners.
- Practice presenting portions of Educate to Empower workshops and receive feedback on how to be more effective.
- Master the use of experiential and accelerated learning techniques to drive key concepts and give more meaning to the training.
- Develop an implementation plan for rolling out Educate to Empower workshops in your school, organization or community.
- Discuss implementation and sustainability strategies with like-minded individuals.
Participate in our 2-day workshop
Are you a teacher, facilitator or community organizer who is interested in teaching the people you work with about issues related to HIV/AIDS? If so, you’re invited to take part in our “Educate to Empower 2 Day Training of Trainers” workshop.
Participants will learn how to facilitate 10 different workshops related to these issues which they can bring back into their own school, organization or educational institution. Workshops include: HIV/AIDS: The Basics; Hepatitis C; Sexuality, Sexual Health and HIV; Gender and HIV; Negotiating Sexual Relationships; HIV around the World; Labels are for Cans: HIV, Stigma and Discrimination; HIV through Art and HIV & Mapping the Body.
All participants will receive their own “Educate to Empower: Training of Trainers” curriculum and DVD to use in their own organization or classroom.
Our Cost: $550.00 per organization (Limit 3 people per school or organization). Cost includes lunch and snacks and 1 copy of the curriculum and DVD.