Grocery - Tuesday Distribution TeamLiquid error: Internal error
AIDS Vancouver’s Grocery program, in operation for over 20 years, is set up like a small grocery store where we invite our clients in to have a food shopping experience, at no cost to them. This position assists in running the Grocery distribution and helping out while the Grocery is open. We are looking for 2 patient and compassionate people to fill these volunteer roles.
- A 1 year commitment is desired
- 2-3 Tuesdays a month - 1:00-4:00pm on Grocery weeks. Closed on MHSD cheque week and week after that
- No more than 4 hours per week
Positions Available: 2
- Checking to ensure that the grocery is set up and ready for distribution
- Opening the Grocery for food distribution on Tuesdays (except on cheque issue week and the week after)
- Greeting clients and updating the computer file as client’s enter the Grocery
- Assisting clients when needed
- Bagging groceries
- Restocking and organizing shelves when necessary
- Assisting with general clean-up (ie: put away the perishable food items, break down and discard empty boxes, sweeping)
Skills and Attributes
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to provide non-judgmental service in a high stress environment
- Calm, gentle manner
- Ability to follow direction
- Clear boundaries
- Ability to multi task if needed
- Interested in HIV/AIDS and related issues
Training, Support and Benefits
- AIDS Vancouver Agency Orientation & Education
- Specialized program/project training
- On the job orientation
- On-going support and supervision from assigned Supervisor
- To be a part of a larger team or movement that is working towards social change.
- To learn new and transferable skills, knowledge and experience.
- To engage in opportunities for leadership, community service and personal/professional development.
- To be recognized and appreciated for valuable contributions.
- To meet new people and have fun!
1107 Seymour St
Vancouver, BC V6B 5S8
Google map and directions
Please Make sure you meet these minimum requirements before applying.
- Must be 19 years of age or older.
- Have legal immigration status in Canada; i.e. resident, citizen or student visa.
- Make a minimum commitment of volunteering once a week for six months. Should you not be able to commit to that length of time, you can commit to reaching 100 hours of service in a shorter period of time.
- Must be willing to complete a criminal record check (only for Board of Directors, Community Outreach, Fund Development and BoysRUs Positions).
- All volunteers must also attend our 12-hour Core Training Program. Here you'll learn about AIDS Vancouver’s programs and services as well as participate in skill building topics including, HIV, cultural awareness, diversity, confidentiality, and communication.
- After you graduate from Core Training, you'll be asked to complete position-specific training for the role you are assigned (usually 2-6 hours).